Sunday, April 25, 2010

First sail and blatant advertising

The first daysail of the season occured today. I went out to an island, anchored and had coffee. Sailed home. Made a boring video. Almost froze my hands off when I hauled up the anchor line out of that ice cold liquid I was sailing in (or on). It was quite warm and sunny, though and the wind was good.

Photobucket

I'm aware that I've been a little quite in here, but I can now reveal that it partly was due to me writing and publishing my second novel. It's called Miss Anna's Frigate, a spy story in Sweden in 1809 (there was a revolution here then, for those who didn't know - which I guess is about everybody...). This time there are no tiny gunboats, but a lot of snow and steamy saunas and a real frigate action, too. The book is now out at Amazon.com. See cover pic in right column.

5 comments:

Kenneth Butterly said...

Good to see you back on line.

I had a Vivacity-20 back in 1996 and took a 2,000 mile trip up the east coast of the US. Now I own a Westerly Nomad that I sail here in the States, on Lake Michigan.

My friend Craig Anderson publushed an article on my adventure several years ago.

Lived in Chicago for 50 years, 20 of them in a Swedish neighborhood, "Andersonville." I have also spent time in Sweden. Between the two, I actually know (a little) about Swedish history.
For the record, there is a fine Swedish Museum in Chicago.

Good luck on the book.

jenku said...

Kenneth, thanks. Do you still have that article? We could always publish it here again. ;)

Kenneth Butterly said...

I think I have it. If so, I will transcribe the article and send to you.

Thank you for the offer.

Unknown said...

Dear Jens

Thanks for a great website. Informative and inspiring - we appreciate your many hours of work! Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place. I'm not sure how to reach you otherwise!

I have an old Vivacity 20 (the British / Russell Marine one), and I am interested if any of your readers have any advice on improving the performance of the keels?

I am particularly interested in improving the aft / trailing edge of the keels, as well as the asymmetric camber of the entire keel, which could possibly also be combined with a slight toe-in effect at the same time.

Has anybody ever tried to improve the performance of their Vivacity 20 keels?

Many thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike Meakin said...

Hello- I bought a Vivacity 20 last year and have been sailing it on the Trent-severn waterway in Canada. Last week we took her out in 25 kts and got caught by a gust of 35-40 kts that snapped the mast in two! It was not the original mast so I want to make sure that I replace it with the correct mast type.
Does anyone have the original mast specs for the Vivacity 20 that I could use to procure a new mast?
Thanks.
Mike