Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tidal sailing

I am currently in England on holiday and had the chance to do some tidal sailing on a friend's boat. He keeps it in Saltfleet, a tiny drying harbour on the East Coast of England. It's a drying mooring, meaning there's no water at all during low tide.

Photobucket

Unfortunately the boat even sat at an uncomfortable angle, so we had to sleep in the club house, or one of us would have fallen out of the bunk.

Photobucket

Waiting for the tide to come in we ended up in a pub. Bingo,

Photobucket

Sunrise occured at 3.30am. Don't ask me why I was awake. I just was.

Photobucket

The tide started to come in during the morning.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Not enough yet...

Photobucket

Finally

Photobucket

And sailing.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

amazing, I haven't been to saltfleet for 40 years, it must be the worst place for sailing in England - nice though!

Ceiling Fans said...

Nice.
I'm also East Coast, the broads currently but wanting to move it up the coast to Blakeney, where it dries.
Much debate about whether it stresses the hull, I've heard stories of wooden hulls suffering from continuous drying.

Ceiling Fans said...

By the way, the 'talent' in the pub didn't recommend that establishment for me! he he :)