Monday, March 30, 2009

Sailing pics from Shetland

James Robinson sent this cruise report from Shetland:

Last week there was a quiet spell of weather that enabled me to take 'Amity' for a first sail this year.

Shetland can be quite rough weather-wise in the early months and for me it was a bonus to sail, especially as I have only been out a couple of times. It was still a little blowy, but I enclose a couple of pictures for you.
'Amity' is a 17 foot Lysander designed by Percy Blandford as a twin-keel shoal draft little boat more designed for the inland waterways of England yet still capable of sailing around the coast and estuaries.

With 2 jibs set and a reefed mainsail it was an experience I won't forget for a while as we sailed around the north end of Bressay which is situated opposite Lerwick, the capital of Shetland.

'Amity'. I'm not able to sail by myself yet as I am recovering from an operation so Rab helps out when I am able to sail.'Amity' is coming out of the water later on this week for antifouling and a refit. Hope to be back in the water for the end of June.
I think this is the Holm of Beosetter again on the north of Bressay. Known also for the families of seals here.
Happy sailing to all at the Twin-keeler web site.

2 comments:

bloc hornet said...

looks like a really fun time my friend, have you been sailing for long?

marine supplies said...

Please one more post about that.I wonder how you got so good. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect